Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Standing Still

Today is the winter solstice, when the Sun stands still before beginning its trek back towards the north. The Sun appears to hover, thinking about its next move before continuing on.

Kinda how I feel right now. I'm at a bit of a loss. I keep feeling like there is something I should be doing. Comes from always having tons to do during the semester, I suppose. I feel pretty useless when school isn't in session. Teaching is satisfying and meaningful and it enables me to (hopefully) contribute to society in a positive way. Without it, I am a loser. Blah.

6 comments:

Greg van Eekhout said...

Taking care of yourself is also contributing to the universe, as you are a part of the universe. Your students will appreciate a more rested teacher, so you could even look at taking care of yourself as helping your students. Go to Starbucks. Take a book. Take your iPod. Take a nap. Take a walk. Take a breath.

Dr. Lisa said...

Thanks, dude. Love the avatar!

Anonymous said...

You are hardly a loser. However, I've always noticed a sort of Wile E. Coyote effect after a long period of stress: your mental limbs keep whirling but there's no tasks to get traction on. Relax, slow down - it's the season of hibernation and rest, naturally speaking. Time for a nap, in all respects.

Of course, I'm also drugged out of my gourd on cold medication.


Is tonight the longest night, or was last night?

Dr. Lisa said...

Tonight is the longest night. Pity. I don't want the nights to grow shorter.

I'll consider the Wile E. Coyote hypothesis. You are wise, even drugged, my Kirsten!

Anonymous said...

I just posted this elsewhere, so I'm only ripping myself off:

In the time of greatest darkness, may you have light. In the cold
months of the year, may you have warmth. The empty, poor days of winter stretch ahead; may your pockets, your larder, your hands, and your hearts all be full. The year ends amidst bells and clamor; may you all have peace, now and in the year to come.

I'm full of it today!!!

Dr. Lisa said...

Full of it, indeed! Love you!