Sunday, December 04, 2005

Strangeness

After almost the entire semester has passed, one of the students in my physics lecture told me that, not only does she live in the apartment across the hall from me, but another of my students lives in the apartment upstairs! Aaiiee! It also says something about the way I go through life ( head down, not making eye contact) that I didn't recognize these chicks. Sigh.


During an in-class discussion, one of my astronomy students raised his hand and asked very seriously, "Why are there so many songs about rainbows? And what's on the other side?" I told him that I've obviously lost control of the class when the kids start quoting "The Rainbow Connection."


A former student came to visit me this week. He's heading home to the deep South where he means to go to law school, which was always his goal. His plan has been slightly modified, however, by the fact that his family struck oil on their property. Now instead of pursuing law in part for the financial gains, he hopes to open a family law practice benefiting underprivileged folk. Wish him luck!


A student I hadn't seen since September emailed me to ask me if I could withdraw him from the class, because he forgot to withdraw before the deadline. I told him I didn't have that option on my final grade roster. He then emailed back saying that he learned that I could instigate an administrative withdrawal removing him from my class for "disruptive behavior" and would I please do so? If by disruptive, he meant making me laugh til tears streamed down my face, I have been so affected. Otherwise, I'm not going to lie to make up for someone's laziness. Egads.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curioser and curioser!!

Anonymous said...

Heh. People do go slightly insane at the end of the semester...

Finals next week. Argh. Too much to do before then!

The crab nebula is gorgeous.

Dr. Lisa said...

Curious, stupid, and insane. That pretty much sums up the end of the semester!

Finals are next week for me, too - hope all of us survive!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure all of my students are going to survive. Lots of illness, some of them really serious (I'm feeling particularly sad about one kid at the moment. Having a lymph node removed pretty much means cancer, doesn't it?).

Dr. Lisa said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that, Sarah. I'll send positive (and warm) thoughts your way.